Liferay as an Open Source Business Portal
Liferay Portal is an enterprise web platform for developing business solutions, currently utilized by Xcontrol customers (e.g. HanseMerkur) for their internet, intranet and extranet solutions. Liferay portals optimally control business processes and communication, and can be optimized by employees, customers and suppliers.
One of the key features of Liferay is its content management system. Documents can be saved, stored, organized and made accessible to multiple parties. The Liferay Social Office feature enables the content management systems to mimic the advantages of a social network.
Xcontrol supports its customers in the design, implementation and operation of Liferay Portals. Our services include advising on the Liferay infrastructure, the migration of existing applications into the Liferay Portal, custom portlet development and adaptation of user interfaces. In the implementation phase, we utilize the Rapid Prototyping process to efficiently present sustainable results and to incorporate customer feedback from the get-go.
Liferay offers the following features:
- Collaboration features of Liferay Social Office, i.e. wikis, blogs, forums, instant messages, e-mail, etc.
- Out-of-the-box tools comprising a “portlet collection”
- Comments & Reviews
- Search and tagging of all portal content
- Liferay’s own content management system (CMS)
- Integration of different applications such as Microsoft Office, Business Intelligence, Document Management, Business Process Management, Enterprise Service Bus, etc.
- Working with Web 2.0 interfaces
- Workflows with jBPM
- Roles and Rights Management
- Drag and drop functionality
- Scalability through clustering technology
- JSR 286 portlets for integration as a standard for portals